Police Briefs 12-06-2018


Mall rat

On Thursday, Nov. 29, at approximately 3:49 a.m., officers responded to a radio call for a person with a knife inside the Prudential Center at 800 Boylston St.

On arrival, police met with a security guard working inside Eately restaurant who said he approached the male suspect at about 3:23 a.m. to inform him that the mall was closed. The suspect, who was smoking marijuana at the time, then became irate and threatened the victim with a red pocked knife. The suspect then fled the mall, before taking a right on Boylston Street in the direction of Fairfield Street, and another right onto Newbury Street.

Police searched the area for the suspect to no avail, but learned that Eately’s security firm had a surveillance video of the incident.

Upon further investigation, a detective met with the victim, who provided the detective with a high-quality photograph of the suspect.

The detective immediately recognized the suspect (and his clothing) from a report of a person with a knife reported earlier that day at 102 Brookline Ave. The detective and another plainclothes officer then responded to that location, where they located the suspect, pat-frisked him and seized the red pocketknife from his person as evidence.

The suspect was subsequently charged with assault with a dangerous weapon (knife).


Knowing when to say when

On Sunday, Dec. 2, at around 1:08 a.m., police responded to a removal from the Fairmont Copley Hotel at 138 St. James Ave.

Upon arrival, officers were notified that a male guest at the hotel was causing a disturbance at its OAK Long Bar + Kitchen and located the man standing outside the hotel.

Police could visibly tell by the appearance and odor of the man, whom they also observed rocking back and forth, that he was highly intoxicated. Officers asked the man for his name several times to no avail before he provided them with a passport. Police then confirmed with hotel staff that he was staying as a guest at the hotel.

As officer attempted to escort the man to his room via the elevator, he began yelling at hotel staff and waving his finger at them. Police then escorted the man to his room while two additional officers remained in the lobby to speak to hotel staff.

While exiting the elevator, the man began “yelling and chanting in a high voice,” disturbing guests on his while ignoring repeated requests from officers to be quiet.

The man was subsequently placed under arrest for disturbing the peace before being transported to District 4 headquarters and booked in the usual manner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.