Damien Hughes was known as a young man with lots of jokes – always the ham and the funny guy in the crowd.

The party, unfortunately, went from the toney suburb of Westborough to the dregs of Methadone Mile – as he called it – or Mass/Cass Corridor as it is known officially. It was there on Mass/Cass almost two weeks ago that the jokes stopped, his opiate addiction having relapsed and a man he didn’t even know allegedly stabbed him multiple times and killed him in front of the Southampton Shelter.

A recent picture of Damien shows him when he was on the right path, working for Amazon and trying to stay sober.

His mother said she was told that the light-hearted, passive young man begged for his life – begged for others to help – as his alleged killer, Cesar Valentin, 34, from Chelsea, pursued him and stabbed him again and again and ended his life.

The jokes at that point were over.

Last Saturday, his mother Ashley Tenczar Curran laid him to rest at a funeral home and cemetery in Central Massachusetts, having tried multiple times to help him get into and stick with detox and sobering up for good. Herself a former addict clean for almost two decades, she lives in Jamaica Plain and tried to keep frequent tabs over her son on Mass/Cass when he would disappear for days on end – coming down to the Mile originally because there were no services in the suburbs for him and no help in Worcester County Jail where he served more than a year for stealing gift cards from cars.

“To be honest, I expected an overdose call,” said Curran. “I didn’t think it would be about violence or murder. I would have given that guy $10,000 if he would have left my son alone…My son died saying ‘I can’t breathe; I need an ambulance. Help me.’ He couldn’t breathe because his lungs were full of blood. He died in the ambulance half a block from the hospital. He died a horrible, horrible death and they found the guy who did it over at St. Francis House a little later calmly eating lunch. I just want to know why. I want to know why he needed to come back and stab him again and again – once in the neck and once in the side.”

Hughes, 27, was allegedly stabbed by Valentin just outside of the doors of the Southampton Shelter around 11:51 a.m. in broad daylight on July 31. Valentin has been charged with murder, but the story entails far more than street violence. Mostly, Hughes’s mother said, it’s a story about addiction and relapse and the difficulty in finding help in the suburbs and the dangerousness of trying to get help in Boston. Curren said it is often lost that the people on Mass/Cass are real human beings, as they are often in the throes of their addiction and they are sick. Seeing them that way doesn’t help a stranger to see them as a son – as Curren does – a young man who lovingly nursed her late husband in 2015 as he died of cancer, a young man who liked to play mini golf, and who was a constant funny man at home and even in the Mass/Cass area.

“He wasn’t just some random guy from Boston,” said Curren. “He was from the suburbs. He was raised in Westborough and went to Westborough High. My parents raised him. My mother put everything she had into him, the schooling and IEPs. He grew up in a very well-to-do area. He never really got into sports even though my parents tried everything. He started smoking weed and then he got into addiction. Addiction is a disease. He was sick. My son was no choir boy. He was hustling and his had a massive opiate habit…We struggled with that a lot, and I tried to take him to PATH on Albany Street – wading through addicts six-people deep to get to the door. We went together.”

Curren said she is familiar with addiction, being a reformed addict herself. She said she had Hughes when she was young, and she slipped into addiction as well – which is why her parents raised him in Westborough. More than 15 years ago she cleaned up and became a nurse, and at that time started keeping close tabs on Hughes. A few years ago, in Worcester County, he got caught stealing gift cards out of cars and spend two years in the county jail, she said. He was never a violent or aggressive person, his mother said, and jail was hard for him. There was no help for addiction there, so when he got out, Curren said they felt the only help they could get was in Boston.

“He ended up coming to Boston because I felt there were services here that weren’t in the suburbs and I could keep an eye on him,” she said. “Unfortunately, there weren’t good services in Boston either and it was dangerous down there. Where there are just so many drug dealers going in and out, you’re going to have violence…Eventually, I couldn’t do it anymore.”

The last time Curren saw her son, she had gone down to the Engagement Center – known as ‘The Tent’ – and found him nearby wearing an Uncle Sam top hat and making jokes with everyone, as well as being very high.

“He was always joking, even that day,” she said. “I look terrible in that picture because I was crying so much when I found him that way.”

Prior to that meeting, he had been at her JP apartment for several days and she was trying to get him into a detox and start the process again. However, he disappeared shortly after.

Part of the failure, she said, was the attitudes in places like Westborough – the denial of problems which leads to the rejection of any help or services. Many in those types of towns eventually turn to Boston – like Hughes did – and it’s a very dangerous place to navigate for a suburban kid without any street experience.

“The services are zilch,” she said. “They need to pay attention to their kids and stop denying it. It’s happening and they don’t seem to get it. They have a police officer at school in Westborough High School, but he’s not treatment. It would be nice if they had an addiction office…They need to understand these kids are coming into (Mass/Cass). They’re coming in from the suburbs. They haven’t been on the streets 20 years. They are coming from affluent areas. It’s gotta stop. It’s going to get bigger and bigger and spill over into all the neighborhoods. They have a perimeter set up now. I don’t know who orders that, but I’d like to know.”

Meanwhile, Curren said she’s focusing on the violence that has erupted in the area, and trying to draw attention to it so other kids from the suburbs – like her son – don’t fall victim to someone with a knife or gun. She said her son’s murder was captured on a Homeland Security camera, and Boston Police are working the case but aren’t sure if there’s any motive. Her son was simply standing at the door, and in two seconds he had been stabbed. He tried to get away, and the assailant followed him and stabbed him again.

“I want people to know he wasn’t some random guy,” she said. “He was a person, a human being and he had an addiction. People remember him for jokes and laughs and being non-violent. I don’t think he could even defend himself. He was so much more than the addiction.”

Last Saturday, Hughes was buried out in Westborough. Curren and her mother said their last good-byes to a young man that was once full of life and laughter.

Damien’s laughter, though, had been silenced by so many factors beyond anyone’s control.

18 comments for “Murdered on the Mile: Young Man Came to Boston for Help, But Ended up Getting Killed

1. Brianne Fitzgerald
    August 14, 2020 at 7:41 am

Ashley i am very sorry for your loss I remember when Damien was born. Brianne

• Ashley Tenczar
      September 25, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Brianne…was curious what you’re up to re: advocacy in shutting down ” Marty’s Tent”…. Can you fb msg me if you get a chance? This is all new to me, I’d like to know about activism, advocacy, in the most effective way to achieve a goal… I want to start some type of movement similar to Mothers Against Drunk Driving but maybe on a smaller scale as I’ve had lots of women message me about how angry they are as well, and personally and if I had it my way mothers who have lost, to go into the methadone mile, women from the suburbs, from everywhere so they can see the problem is not just some City thing. Talk to people that are from Brookline, Westborough, Holliston Etc to open up the conversation about who is coming to these areas. You can put Methadone mile into your GPS and get directions. Damien told me this and I didn’t believe it then;
      ” Mom a guy from Holliston came lookin for dope”…” “Another car full of idiots yesterday from Brookline came for some X..and meth!”… I believe him now.

2. Lou lou
    August 14, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Sorry for your loss Rest In Peace he’s in a better place I hope they got the person who murdered him and addiction is a tough situation and people can only get clean if they want to you can’t force anyone they have to want it and people are crazy out there today people be killing over 10 dollars

• Jed tenczar
      August 19, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Hey lou lou I’m damien’s uncle and I have a couple questions for u because I totally agree w your reply 5089746146 thanks

3. Moses sennyondo
    August 15, 2020 at 9:56 am

I think the government should build a strong shelter we’re by these folks on drug’s don’t have access to the public and drugs not until they recover . Mental illness is the biggest problem to our children . even the killer might not be normal

4. August 16, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Truly an UNfortunate Life taken twice

5. August 16, 2020 at 11:41 pm

My condolences to you and family

6. Francisco Smith
    August 17, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Just read this story and it’s really hard to take in. Myself a recovering meth addict, I have to admit it’s very hard getting services anywhere. We have to want it for ourselves, and it’s very crazy that that perimeter is set up outside the hospital, its everyday life or death. NOT ALL OF US ARE VERY FORTUNATE, WE CAN ONLY PRAY AND TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME. CONDOLENCES TO ALL THOSE THAT HAS FALLEN TO DRUG USE. ITS NOT EASY. VERY HARD
    14 MONTH SOBER HERE AND I FEEL GREAT!!!

• Ashley Tenczar
      September 9, 2020 at 11:53 am

I replied to this comment because it is the one that rings through the most. Thank you for your condolences and support..
      You are a miracle.!!!! Truly. Very few people walk away from methamphetamines for one month, never mind the time you have accumulated!!! It is so refreshing to see someone reply publicly and speak about their own addiction. I believe it is our job to do this so that others have hope, and you have!!(!we know this because of the 12th step, to carry the message to other sick and suffering addicts!!) Hit me up on Facebook if you would like. I’m easy to find LOL

7. Eleanor M
    August 18, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Beautiful story that is very well written. Rest In Peace Damien.

8. Beth
    August 18, 2020 at 6:59 pm

Damien is a social & beautiful person who I will miss always
    -beth

Love u Ashley I send all my love to you & your family

9. Kevin Garraway
    August 19, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Your story is heartbreaking on so many levels. My condolences to you and your family.

10. August 25, 2020 at 7:00 am

Sorry for your loss Rest In Peace Damien Hughes

11. Sheila
    August 27, 2020 at 3:12 pm

I’m so so very sorry for the violent loss of your beautiful so . May he Rest In Peace and May you and your family have an abundance of love to help you process your sons death.

• Ashley Tenczar Curran
      September 1, 2020 at 11:37 am

Thank you so much… it’s people like you that keep me and my Mom going.

12. Tristan
    August 30, 2020 at 10:09 am

Damien my friend my heart breaks reading this. Although I met you on the Ave…and we didn’t always see eye to eye…u were my brother from another mother. My baby bro…I’ll never forget the hugs u gave…the many many laughs we shared even in the darkest of times. U were one in a million kiddo. Rest in the sweetest peace. Cesar was a no good pos. Everyone on the Ave knows that…but mention ur name sweet boy and nobody could say one bad thing about u bc u were the best there ever was. Rest easy my friend until we meet again. Xoxo

• Ashley Tenczar Curran
      September 9, 2020 at 11:59 am

Please accept my love and thanks for supporting this cause and being with my son and ALL the sick and suffering…PLEASE contact me on FB.. ( it is my full name including the “Curran” because there’s a PROTEST going on, many more to come, you don’t need to be clean, and I’m going to start coming down there as well just to talk to people. To discuss this article and the others, and to see people like yourself that made my son laugh and gave me comfort when I could not be with him. This is a cause that is not going away. The next mayor is coming in next year, please join us “South End+ Roxbury community” which includes you my friend. Who will fight this battle if not us? Nobody. God bless you and I pray that you use your gifts of Love whether you have drugs in your system or not.

13. August 30, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Ashley I am so proud that you took a stand and I pray this helps others. I loved Damien and will forever miss him. Joseph and Damien will have there rematch in heaven . Friends and neighbors Forever. I understand your pain as you know My son died from addiction. Love and Prayers Always your friend Robin