BLC APPROVES RELOCATION OF ROBERT BURNS STATUE
The Boston Landmarks Commission approved on Monday the relocation of the Robert Burns statue from its current location in Winthrop Square back to its original location in the West Fens. The statue was originally dedicated in the Fens on January 1, 1920, and several community members have expressed their dissatisfaction with its current location. They wanted it to be back in its original location in time to mark the centennial of its dedication. The original foundation for the statue in the Fens has been found, and it will be placed back on that. The BLC approved the relocation of the statue with the proviso that it is done in coordination with the Parks Department so as to not get in the way with all of the construction that will be occurring in the area.
BACK BAY HAPPENINGS
- Carly Copley Birthday Party. Fairmont Copley Plaza will host a birthday party for its canine ambassador, Carly Copley, on Sun., Dec. 16, at 1p.m. Hosting Carly’s 8th birthday will be Vanessa Welch, Anchor for Boston 25 News, who will be reading “Catie Copley” to guests. The reading will be followed by birthday cake (for humans) and special snacks for Carly’s canine friends. This beloved Boston holiday tradition is free and open to the public.
In lieu of gifts for the hotel’s pampered pooch, Fairmont Copley Plaza invites guests to bring a donation of towels, blankets or toys for the dogs and cats at the Animal Rescue League’s Boston Shelter. This is a dog-friendly event.
- The NABB Police Panel/Public Safety Committee will hold its next meeting on December 27 from 6:00-7:00pm in the sanctuary of the First Church of Boston, 66 Marlborough St. For more information, please feel free to email Charles Neckyfarow @publicsafe[email protected]
SOUTH END DATES
- The East Berkeley Neighborhood Association (EBNA) will meet on Dec. 18 at the AC Hotel. There will be a presentation on the cannabis establishment looking to site at 591 Albany St., and discussion of the January Board elections.
- Ellis South End Neighborhood Association will have a membership meeting on Dec. 18, 6:30 p.m. at 66 Berkeley St.
- The Worcester Square Area Neighborhood Association will NOT have a December meeting. They will start again in January.
- The Harrison Albany project (The Smith) will have a construction schedule/impacts meeting on Monday, Dec. 17, at 6:30 p.m. in the D-4 Station Community Room.
- The Villa Victoria will host a community conversation about the Villa Victoria Center for the Arts and its future plans. The Center met with challenges when doing some renovations earlier this year and will face costly structural repairs. The meeting will take place on Monday, Dec. 17, 6 p.m. in the Blackstone Community Center.
- Compassionate Organics will hold its official community engagement meeting on Jan. 10, at 6:30 p.m. in the AC Marriott Hotel, 225 Albany St. The proposal is to put a marijuana dispensary at 633 Tremont St. The public is invited to ask questions.
- The South End Forum Opiate Working Group has released its meeting schedule for Winter/Spring 2019. The group will meet at 4 p.m. in the Crosstown Hilton on Jan. 29, Feb. 19, March 19, April 23, and May 21.
- The South End Forum will meet for its first quarterly meeting of 2019 on Jan. 8 at 6 p.m. in the South End Library. One topic of conversation among many will be the re-design options for Tremont Street.
- Friday, 2/8/19 and Saturday, 2/9/19 – Red Bull Crashed Ice | 20,000 expected per day | TBA- TBA.
- The entertainment license for the 2019 Fenway Park Concerts has been filed, and requests approval for a maximum of 12 concerts in 2019, which is the same number that the City authorized for 2018, according to Claire Durant, Director of Business & Government Affairs for the Red Sox. “For next year’s concerts, we will implement all of the measures that we used this year to address and mitigate local impacts,” she said in an email newsletter. “We hear your concerns and remain committed to open and candid communication on this and all topics.” The licensing hearing is on Wednesday, December 12 at 11:30am.
- The 2018 World Series Trophy is coming to Fenway Community Center! On Wednesday, December 19 from 2:30-3:30pm, stop by the Fenway Community Center to have your photo taken with the trophy. From 3:45-5:00, the trophy will be making a stop at Cornwall’s at 654 Beacon St.
BAY VILLAGE UPDATES
- The Bay Village Neighborhood Association Planning/Licensing Committee will have their monthly meeting on December 17 at 7:00pm in the first floor community room at the South Cove Apartments, 230 Stuart St.
- The Bay Village Neighborhood Association will hold a public safety meeting on December 25 at 7:00pm in the first floor community room at the South Cove Apartments, 230 Stuart St.